The famous and world famous trip to Machu Picchu by the classic Inca Trail is one of the most beautiful adventures leading to “the lost city of the Incas“.
Machu Picchu, located northeast of the city of Cusco, receives daily many travelers of all nationalities, Each and every one of them have the purpose of knowing and walking the streets and platforms of that beautiful Inca citadel. to get to that place there are different ways to make the trip, some more complicated than others.
The best known routes that lead to Machu Picchu are:
- Travel by train to Machu Picchu (start of trip from Poroy station or from Ollantaytambo station).
- Travel to Machu Picchu by bus.
- Salkantay to Machu Picchu.
- Lares Valley to Machu Picchu.
The routes mentioned above present variations or alternate routes (short and longer) as is the case of the Inca Trail, which presents variations in travel times that can be: 2-day and 4-day trip.
The trip to Machu Picchu by the Inca Trail, being the most requested route, presents variations to facilitate and provide comfort in their itineraries to travelers who have more or less days of stay in Cusco.
Classic Inca Trail.
It is the most common travel on the Inca Trail, also called the classic Inca Trail. It lasts 4 days. Most tourists choose to buy this trip, since the physical demand of the trip is minimal and you have more days to enjoy everything you can find during the route.
The starting point of the Inca Trail is 30 minutes away from Ollantaytambo, in the place called “kilometer 82”. To make the trip from Cusco to “kilometer 82” is usually the tourism company who is responsible for the mobility and has an approximate duration of 2 hours 30 minutes.
It is highly recommended to ask for enough information to the tourist agency you choose, information about your safety, food, duration times, necessary documents and places that will be found during the trip. Also, reading some information on the Internet can help you plan less your adventure on the Inca Trail.
Description of the trip to Machu Picchu.
“The Inca Trail was recognized as one of the 5 best hiking trails on the planet. It is due to its great historical value and beauty, in which during its journey you can enjoy beautiful landscapes and several Inca constructions that are on the way.
Traveling the Inca Trail is not only about getting to know the place frequented by thousands of travelers to reach Machu Picchu, but also to enjoy that Inca engineering that crosses mountains, ravines, pampas and summits of the highest peaks found along the route.
The highest point of the road is “Warmiwañuska at 4,200 m.a.s.l.” from which you can observe the beautiful mountains that for many years kept within them the beautiful city of the Incas “Machu Picchu”.
On the way there are also beautiful Inca constructions such as: Wiñay Wayna and Phuyupatamarca that give even more mystery to the engineering capacity and organization of the Incas who came to build communication routes as efficient as the Inca road.
Important facts about the Inca Trail.
To make a beautiful and unforgettable journey along the classic Inca Trail, you must take into account some information that will help you organize and facilitate your trip without any inconvenience.
- The necessary documents. It is very important to have documents that identify you, as there are checkpoints on the Inca Trail in order to safeguard your safety and control of people.
- Booking times. Unfortunately, reservations are made up to 4 months in advance due to the high demand and limit of people per day (only 500 visitors per day).
- Difficulty of the trip. The difficulty is medium-high, there are ascent points that require more effort and others where the walk is done without any difficulty, having the highest point located at “4,200 meters above sea level” that requires more effort to climb.
- Travel with children. You can travel with children from 10 years of age without any problem, each travel agency will inform you everything you need to make the trip without problems, there are also records of people who traveled with younger children without any problem.
- Pre-trip preparation. It is highly recommended to acclimatize and prepare the body before starting the trip, the minimum number of days in Cusco before the trip is 2 days.
- Best time to travel on the Inca Trail. “April to October